In 1998, our church committed to a ministry of environmental stewardship and justice by becoming an Environmental Justice Covenant Congregation. An environmental justice committee was formed to raise awareness of environmental issues and provide opportunities for the congregation to participate in the healing and reconciling of all creation.
Some of our programs include:
- Comprehensive Recycling Program
- Annual spring fundraiser "Shop & Share Days" at Vern Goers Greenhouse to support expenses associated with the church's recycling program.
- Sunday Coffee Fellowship - Committee members wash coffee mugs to reduce use of disposable cups and also recycle the juice cups.
- Promote dates and locations of Electronic Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Days
- Annual Environmental Justice Worship Service, designed to honor God's magnificent creation
- Fair Trade - Sale of Equal Exchange coffee, tea, baking cocoa and chocolate bars after the 10:15 worship service
- Native Wildflower Garden
- Installed in 2003 on the northwest corner of the property to convey the wonder and interconnectedness of nature
- Twenty different species of native plants are identified along a flagstone path
- Committee members maintain the garden with periodic new plantings, weeding, mulching and pruning.
- Speakers/Presentations throughout the year on topics such as: Global Warming, public lands at risk, religious & scientific perspectives on the Environment, Sustainable Agriculture, and more.